Village Core Comprehensive Plan Process
Share this news
The Town of Sutton has decided to implement a process of consultation and dialogue with its citizens in order to define, by December 2022, a comprehensive plan for the village core that will outline its future.
At the end of 2021, it undertook a complete analysis of the studies carried out on the three municipal sites over the past several years: the John-Sleeth Community and Cultural Centre, the Sutton Museum of Communications and History and the former Filtex factory site. In June 2022, the Town then began a consultation process with various community stakeholders, experts and local interest groups to gather as much information as possible to present to the public.
Brainstorming sessions were held from June to September 2022. These sessions allowed us to gather opinions and suggestions by interest group, while surveying the needs of our community and cultural organizations and those of the general population.
Among Sutton’s named priority needs:
- Increasing the supply of housing in the village with an emphasis on affordability.
- Protecting and enhancing the rural character of the area and the village.
- Determine the best location for a public plaza for socialization.
- Develop the best options for meeting community and cultural needs.
- Create an active mobility route through the village to highlight its cultural and community attractions.
- Define the optimal plan for traffic flow in the Village.
In October 2022, an interactive exhibition will be launched at the Museum of Communications and History of Sutton to allow the entire population to learn about the results of the first part of the process. Two public meetings are then planned for October 26 and 27, 2022 to answer questions and take the pulse of the population, which will then be able to give its opinion and suggestions based on the information gathered.
By December 2022, various proposals will have emerged that will allow us to collectively draw the broad outlines of a comprehensive plan for the village core. These proposals will be submitted by survey to the entire population. Afterwards, the selected projects will be analyzed on their cost and feasibility.
See the timeline on the right.